This camp is a great way for athletic youth to try a new sport that may open the door to future opportunities! Fun fact: 90% of SPU’s nationally ranked team had no rowing experience before trying out. Get a head start on your rowing journey by signing up for this introductory camp led by current staff and team members. Camp will give participants the foundation to join a local club program and information about walking-on in college. Camp will start with basic technical instruction on Concept 2 erg machines and progress to rowing under the Seattle skyline. The goal is for campers to discover a highly rewarding sport that can lead to a collegiate, adult, and/or elite career!
- 10 participants + volunteers known as a “cohort” and only row in boats with each other.
- Volunteers are current team members who can serve as coxswains or rowers in boats.
- Coaches maintain physical distance and are not considered part of any cohort.
- Cohorts will be preassigned before camp based on age and/or relational status (i.e. family members or friends).
- Since most, if not all, rowing camp activities occur outside, interaction may occur between cohorts, but masking and physical distancing will be enforced.
- Masks will be required for most camp activities except for distanced erging. Masks will be worn in the boats.
- Equipment (e.g. ergs, oars, seat area in boats, etc.) will be sanitized after every use with disinfectant spray and wipes.
- Housing is unavailable at this time on campus, but local hotel recommendation is approx. 3 miles away:
SpringHill Suites Seattle Downtown/South Lake Union
1800 Yale Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101
Ask for the SPU rate!